Podcaster, writer, and former 2019 Great British Bake Off contestant Michael Chakraverty has shared his chocolate cupcakes recipe.
For the Cupcakes
- 125g dark chocolate (minimum 56% cocoa solids)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 5tsp instant coffee
- 90ml boiling water
- 120g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 5tsp baking powder
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 95ml sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Set the oven to 160c/150c fan/Gas Mark 3. Set out 12 cupcake cases in cupcake trays.
- Melt together the chocolate and the butter in a medium pan. Separately, mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and then stir into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar. Give it a quick mix to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix together the wet ingredients, then fold into the dry ingredients.
- Fill each case 2/3 of the way up and bake for around 25 minutes or until firm to the touch and a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
For the Icing
- 360g dark chocolate
- 450g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 450g icing sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a small pan and set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the icing sugar until pale and creamy (at least 4-5 minutes).
- Fold the chocolate into the mixture, and use to ice the cooled cupcakes.
If you prefer a healthy option, check out Joy Skipper and the Alzheimer’s Society’s Healthy Carrot Cupcakes.
Do you have a family or favourite recipe that you would like to share with our readers? Maybe you have a recipe for a local speciality or heritage dish? Email us at email@example.com