Britain Loves Baking Gingerbread Cookies
This seasonal recipe comes from Britain Loves Baking, which has released a new baking themed advent calendar this year. One should be winging its way to the lucky winner of our online competition at livingmags.info/competitions right about now! The calendars cost £170 and can be ordered from britainlovesbaking.com.
- 180g butter, softened
- 170g brown sugar
- 190g treacle
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 420g plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
For the icing
- 250g Icing sugar
- 10ml lemon juice
- 5g of egg white powder or 1 sachet of Dr Oetkers Egg white
- Food colouring gels
- Sprinkles and sparkles
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and treacle until fluffy, for about two minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until dough just comes together. (Do not overmix!)
- Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about two to three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4in thick. Cut out gingerbread men with a 3in wide cutter and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly puffed and set – 9-10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Let cool on baking sheets for five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining disc of dough.
- For the icing, put all the ingredients into a stand mixer bowl and beat for 5 mins.
- Decorate each cookie with icing and sprinkles as desired.