Infused Rapeseed Oil Shortbread
These delicious and easy-to-make biscuits are great to bake with children as they can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. Experiment with all sorts of flavours by using different oils.
This recipe features in the Chilterns Recipe Book (available via chilternsrecipebook.co.uk and many local shops). The book celebrates the best independent food and drink across the region plus the stories of the people who lovingly make them along with great days out, walks and where to eat out.
The recipe itself comes from award-winning Chiltern Cold Pressed Oil. The rapeseed is grown, pressed and bottled as oil at PE Mead & Sons Farmshop at Wilstone, near Tring – well worth a visit for the excellent farm shop and Farmhouse Kitchen.
- 250g flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 85ml Chiltern Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil
- Pinch of salt
- 40ml Chiltern Cold Pressed Infused Rapeseed Oil. We recommend using either rosemary, lemon or orange or substitute with 10ml of chilli oil for a subtle kick!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 3).
- Grease a baking tray.
- Sieve the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the two oils.
- Combine with a knife until a loose crumbly dough forms.
- Press into the baking tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until it begins to turn golden.
- Cut into 16 pieces.
- Allow to cool in the baking tray before removing and enjoying.