Mini Coronation Chicken Pies with Pickled Walnut Chutney
Prep time: 1 hour (plus 4 hours marinating time) Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the Coronation Chicken Pies:
- 6 chicken thighs, bone and skin removed
- 1 ball of Opies Stem Ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp korma paste
- 125g yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- A 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 fresh mango, finely diced
- 100g fresh spinach
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
For the Spiced Walnut Chutney
- 250g apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ large onion, thinly sliced
- 75g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 75ml Opies Pickled Walnuts pickling liquor
- ½ jar of Opies Pickled Walnuts, finely chopped
- Place all the chutney ingredients except the pickled walnuts into a large pan. Allow the sugar to dissolve over a low heat, bring to the boil and continue until the apples are soft and broken down. Take off the heat and stir in the pickled walnuts. Place into sterilised jars and set aside. Note: The chutney can be made in advance, or you
could simply add chopped pickled walnuts to your favourite chutney for a shortcut.
- In a bowl mix the chicken thighs with the ginger, cumin, turmeric powder, korma paste, yoghurt and a pinch of salt. Ensure they are well coated, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, place chicken in a deep pan over a low heat and cover with coconut milk. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the chicken is tender and falling apart. Remove with a slotted spoon and finely shred with two forks. Set aside. Add the curry powder, mango and spinach to the coconut milk and simmer until thick. Remove from the heat then add the chicken back to the sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C /180C Fan / Gas 6 and grease a 12-hole muffin tin. Unravel the shortcrust pastry and cut out 12 circles around 10cm in diameter, then repeat with the puff pastry using an 8cm cutter. Line the muffin tray holes with the shortcrust pastry circles then bake blind in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Remove then add an even layer of pickled walnut chutney to the bottom of each. Top with the chicken mixture then pop the puff pastry circles on top to encase the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork then brush each pie with egg.
- Sprinkle with the nigella seeds then bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden and well risen.