In this issue, Victoria Chidgey of Little Tring Cakes, who opened Waters Edge earlier in the year (previously Bluebell Tea Rooms) at Marsworth Reservoir, shares with our readers how to make one of their most popular items – Rainbow Cookies. Perfect for some family baking over the Easter weekend!
For the cookie dough
- 260g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 180 kg Butter
- 225g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Smarties to decorate
Pre-heat the oven to 160 C fan, 180 C
- Cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to form a stiff cookie dough mixture.
- Let the cookie dough rest in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Dip each ball into the smarties and then place onto a baking tray, ensuring they are well spaced apart (to allow for spreading).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
- Once out of the oven leave the cookies to cool on the baking tray.
Waters Edge serves cakes, barista made coffee and selection of savoury food (all homemade and locally sourced). They plan to serve an all-day brunch menu, wine list supplied by Tring Winery, a cocktail list, premium draft beers and an evening ‘small plates’ menu.
Do you have a family or favourite recipe that you would like to share with our readers? Maybe you have a recipe for a local speciality or heritage dish? Email us at email@example.com.