A quick guide to doing your own at home facial while the salons are closed from Lucie Fountain of Elementary Skin & Body in Tring
Even as a beauty therapist, I feel that my skin has really suffered in the lockdowns, with the sudden change to routines and the halt of all treatments it can be difficult to keep your skin glowing and radiant. If this sounds familiar and your skin is suffering, think about putting a lockdown skincare routine in place and kick start this new routine with a mini-facial.
What you will need
- A face cloth
- A bowl of hot water
- Your cleanser
- Your exfoliator
- Your mask or facial serum
- Your moisturiser & eye cream
Before you begin your facial, close your eyes and take 3 deep breaths, to calm, refresh and unwind.
Begin with a cleanse (the most important part). Using your cleanser, apply a generous amount in upward motions from your neck to forehead.
For the following moves repeat x 3:
- Start at your neck and use your knuckles in circular upward motions to massage the cleanser into your skin.
- As you get to your jawline use your thumb and forefinger to trace along the jawline from the chin to ears.
- Using your fingertips massage in upward circular motions from the jawline to cheek bones.
- Using your ring fingers massage either side of the nose focusing on any areas of congestion.
- Place your ring fingers on the inside of your brows and draw outward circles around and under your eyes.
- Then use your thumbs to crisscross across your forehead.
- Submerge your face cloth, carefully, into your hot water, squeeze it out and then bring it to your face and hold it for a few moments to steam your skin, rinse the cloth and remove any remaining cleanser. Repeat this step again.
Next exfoliate, use your exfoliator in upward circular scrubbing motions across your neck and face. Remove with your face cloth.
Mask or Serum
Next step mask or serum. Apply a generous amount of product across your face and neck and lay back and relax. This is a great time to listen to a meditation such as Progressive Muscle Relaxation on YouTube which works to de-stress and soothe muscles. After 10-15 minutes remove your mask. You can leave the serum on.
Now apply your eye cream in a patting motion under your eyes and across your lids. Finally apply your moisturiser in smooth upward motions from your neck upwards. Finish by applying a gentle pressure to your temples and circling, while taking 3 deep breaths.
After your facial, let your products soak into your skin – before bed is a great time to do it. Try to avoid putting any make-up on for 24 hours and drink plenty of water.
Lucie Fountain, Elementary Skin & Body, Tring.