Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society (BLHMS) have brought us news of this year’s Heritage Open Days, which will take place from 13-22 September.
11 different local sites were registered before the 30 April deadline. Two sites, the Castle and tours of Dacorum Heritage Trust (DHT), which have always been registered by BLHMS have this year been registered by the Berkhamsted Castle Trust and DHT respectively.
Two sites/events, the details of which have to be finalised, have still to be registered; events at Rectory Lane Cemetery and the Town Hall, which will feature as a Power of the People event.
Mary Casserley, BLHMS Chair, is very grateful to all who have agreed to help with guided tours or who have agreed to help in any way. There is a large number of people involved.
This year we have two new sites, Amersfort, for which Kate Harwood of the Hertfordshire Gardens’ Trust has agreed to do a guided tour and the Battle of Berkhamsted Common, another Power of the People event, a guided tour led by Richard Shepherd. The Amersfort event has been highlighted by the national Heritage Open Days as a special feature in this year’s calendar.
Confirmed Dates and Times for Heritage Open Days
- ‘A Walk Back in Time’. Thursday 19 September 10am and Saturday 21 September 10am.
- Berkhamsted Place. Friday 13 September 10am and Saturday 14 September at 2pm.
- Amersfort. Monday 16 September 10am and 2pm.
- Ashlyns Foundling Hospital. Sunday 15 September. Open 1-5.30pm. Tours at 1.30 and 3.30pm.
- Post a Letter. Sunday 15 September 11am.
- ‘Repton’s Ashridge’. Tuesday 17 September and Thursday 19 September both at 2pm.
- St Mary’s Northchurch. Saturday 14 September 11am and 2pm.
- St Peter’s Church and Court House. Sunday 22 September at 3pm.
- The Battle of Berkhamsted Common – the Power of the People. Saturday 14 September 09.45am.
- The Lost Wharves of Berkhamsted. Friday 13 and Wednesday 18 September. Both start at 10am.
- Old Hall and Chapel, Berkhamsted School. Sunday 15 September 10.30am and 2.30pm.
- Market Hall and Town Hall with rooms for the Mechanics Institute – the Power of the People. Sunday 15 September 10am.
- DHT Museum Store. Saturday 21 September 10am. Places are free but please book on 01442 879525. The Dacorum Heritage Trust Ltd Store is at the rear of the Civic Centre, access by foot only is via Clarence Road (no parking available).
A complete list with full details of all events will go out with the BLHMS Summer Newsletter and be advertised on their website and other local outlets.