Most modern UK households now have many items that contain Lithium-Ion batteries such as mobile phones, e-bikes/scooters, vacuum cleaners and even children’s toys and any of these items can be a potential risk if not treated correctly.
Research has identified a lack of knowledge in the public surrounding these issues so Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service have created a video awareness campaign called ‘Simple Changes Save Lives’.
Smoke detectors are proven to protect life, however lithium-Ion battery fires can start and develop so quickly. Lithium-Ion is one of the most common forms of battery because it can store the most energy in the smallest space.
This video gives some simple advice that means even if a fire does start from a battery, the occupants of the home should be able to escape and this video is worth watching:
Because of their potential to catch fire, Lithium-Ion batteries must be looked after:
- Only buy batteries from a reputable manufacturer.
- Unplug devices when they are fully charged to avoid overheating.
- Store batteries in a cool dry place.
- Do not charge items such as mobile phones or tablets under pillows or on beds.
- Avoid charging devices overnight when anyone is asleep.
- Do not charge anything in a corridor or room that provides your only way out of your home.
- Ensure there is a working smoke alarm in every room where charging takes place and charge in a location where you can close a door to prevent smoke spread.
- In the event of a fire, leave immediately and do not attempt to extinguish the fire yourself.
For further information relating to Lithium-Ion batteries, visit www.batteryfiresafety.co.uk.