St Peter’s Church Birthday Celebrations
St Peter’s church’s 800th anniversary events swing into action during May. There is a packed schedule of events planned to appeal to the town’s residents with something for everyone whether they are passionate about history, marking the occasion spiritually, enjoying music, showcasing photography skills or joining in with the community celebrations centered around the church.
Highlights include a Talk series and Historical display in church during May, a community picnic with tea and cake following a short service commemorating 70 years of Her Majesty the Queen’s reign (5 June) and a festival afternoon (26 June) where the church will be bedecked in flowers and there will be entertainment and activities galore. This will include lots for children such as a miniature train, face painting and teddy zip wire.
A town-wide photography competition is already live, sponsored by EIC Insurance Services with the theme of either ‘Berkhamsted’ and/or ‘Celebration’. There are three categories, each with £100 prize money. One for Infant and Juniors, one for Secondary schools and an Open competition for people living in an HP4 postcode. All entries should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Photography Competition’ in the subject field. The filename for each image must indicate whether it is on the theme of ‘Berkhamsted’ or ‘Celebration and include the photographer’s name. All entries must be received by Friday 10 June and the winners will be announced on the Festival afternoon.
Please celebrate with St Peter’s this Spring – they can’t wait to welcome you to one of their events.
Forthcoming Events (all at St Peter’s church).
- All month HISTORY DISPLAY – FREE. 800th historical display with Berkhamsted Local History and Museum Society
- Tuesdays 3, 10, 17 May 8pm. BERKHAMSTED TALKS SERIES – £6
- 3 May – History of Berkhamsted with Dr Julian Hunt Tickets via Eventbrite
- 10 May – History of St Peter’s with Dr Christopher Green Tickets via Eventbrite
- 17 May – Berkhamsted in 100 years’ time with Peter Matthews and astrophysicist, Dr Suzie Imber. Tickets via Eventbrite
- Sunday 15 May 6pm – WILLARD CARTER, CELLIST CONCERT FREE. Talented young cellist, Willard Carter in concert with Daniel King Smith on the piano. Programme to include Stravinsky, Haydn, Bloch, Boulanger and Piazzolla. Free with retiring collection.
- Friday 20 May 7.30pm – 800th Pilgrimage Screening of The Way (in the Court House). A screening of the film starring Martin Sheen and James Nesbitt where a man goes on a pilgrimage carrying the ashes of his late son. Seating limited. Please book by emailing: email@example.com
- Sunday 5 June 3pm PLATINUM JUBILEE COMMUNITY CELEBRATIONS. Church service followed by Platinum Jubilee Celebrations in the churchyard, toasting Her Majesty The Queen’s 70-year reign with a picnic of tea and cake.
- Saturday 25 June 7.30pm. BRIDGEWATER SINFONIA CONCERT. Music from the last 800 years of music to celebrate St Peter’s 800th birthday with St Peter’s Church Choir and the Chiltern Chamber Choir. Tickets via Eventbrite Adults – £17. Children Free.
- Sunday 26 June 2pm. 800th FESTIVAL AFTERNOON 2-5PM. The day starts with a celebration of our Saint’s Day, the feast of St Peter and Paul followed by an afternoon of celebration for all the community. Enjoy Pimm’s in the churchyard, see the church bedecked in flowers, ride the miniature train, pop your teddy on the zip wire, have a go at the bottle stall, browse the plant and cake stalls. There will also be a special bellringing peal and a spitfire flying overhead (weather permitting).
- Sunday 3 July after the 9.30am service BEATING THE BOUNDS PARISH WALK. Traditional walk to the corners of St Peter’s parish pausing occasionally to pray and ending with tea in the Court House. 4- and 9-mile options. A further Parish pilgrimage to Little Gaddesden church will take places later in the year.
St Peter’s will be raising funds from its events throughout the year to preserve the church building for future generations to enjoy and to support the Mayor and Bishop of St Albans annual appeal. All donations will be gratefully received.
Find out more at www.stpetersberkhamsted.org.uk/800 or by following @StPetersBerkhamsted on social media. Local organisations and businesses interested in getting involved should contact rector Stuart Owen on firstname.lastname@example.org.